Skip to main content

Rap Regions: Dirty South


Dirty South



Welcome to the Dirty Dirty. A region of rap that was very very popular in 2003…and still is still very popular.



Major Cities of Influence: Atlanta, Houston, Miami

Key rapping traits: I’d have to say the dirty south music is very energetic and personal. There is a huge emphasis on beats over lyricism. But that doesn’t mean these cats lyrics aren’t good.

If it were a kid at high school: It would be the class clown, but everybody knows he is real smart.



Major Rappers

T.I.: The self proclaimed King of the South has made some of the dirty south’s best albums, including Paper Trail and King. Many fans think that Trap Muzik was his best album, when Paper Trail was clearly the best one to me. T.I. is the Jay-z of the South, and its no surprise that he got that nickname. T.I. is very aggressive and hostile, and some would even call him paranoid. TIP is more of his aggressive side, but honestly I don’t think that TI is bipolar. I understand why he bought those guns, but then again that was against the law and he shouldn’t of done that. .Some of my favorite T.I. songs include What You Know, Why You Wanna, I’m Illy, and Swagga Like Us.  After being a T.I. fan since I heard Trap Musik or Urban Legend, I really can’t remember, but I’ve been a fan ever since, I can relate to his personal struggle.

A notable Song: What You Know



Ludacris: I personally think Ludacris was one of the main reasons I started like rap in the first place. The first album I ever bought myself was Word of Mouth. He’s a great rapper with simple punchlines. One of Luda’s greatest strength as an MC is that he relies heavily on humor. Luda is also known as a ladies man, his first hit was actually Phat Rabbit, but the first song I heard from him that I really liked is What’s Your Fantasy and Southern Hospitality. He is also a very versatile rapper who has made some really personal songs like Hopeless and Runaway Love. As far as albums go I feel his best ones where Theater of the Mind, Word of Mouth, and Chicken and Beer.



Lil Wayne: Ok Lil Wayne, it’s no secret that he is a very eccentric rapper. Ever since I heard the Carter II in 2006 I’ve been a fan. There was way too much hype surrounding the Carter III, however I thought it was a good album. The first few songs were great, then I felt that it lost some steam. The thing is Carter III was better than Carter II due to certain songs like Tie My Hands, and some key guest spots from Jay-z, T-Pain, and Fabolous. Lil Wayne has gotten a lot more popular after calling himself “the best rapper alive”, which was really just copying Jay-z’s style. Tha Carter IV was a decent album with bangers like 6 Foot 7 Foot, Blunt Blowin, It’s Good, and John.






Missy Elliot: Missy has always been one of my favorite rappers; in short due to the fact most of her music is positive.  She’s had a lengthy career and my favorite albums are Miss E…so Addictive and Under construction. Work It and  Get Ur Freak On have always been some of my favorite songs. Now Missy Elliot isn’t a terrific lyricist, but by no means do her rhymes suck. I have to agree that one of her biggest secrets to success would be to Timbaland’s beats.




Young Jeezy: Ever since 2005 Jeezy has been one of my favorite rappers period. His delivery is one of his greatest strengths along with great hooks. All of his albums are good…..but my favorite would have to be The Recession. Young Jeezy brings his “Southern gangster” feel to every song he does. He has been called the Raekwon of the south….and I feel that’s pretty accuarate. He is also a pretty versatile rapper. I still think Jeezy can breakthrough and make a near classic album but it remains to be seen.



Key Albums by Other notable artitsts

Scarface- The Fix



Chammillionaire- Ultimate Victory



Paul Wall- The People’s Champ

Killer Mike- R.A.P. Music



Rick Ross- Teflon Don



Bun B- II Trill






Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area