Skip to main content

Yeezus In Depth Review

Yeezus


Kanye West

In Depth Review

Opening Opinion: 9.5

            Ah yes, I have finally gotten to Kanye’s latest album, Yeezus. Here’s a quick in Depth Review. The album starts off with On Sight, a Daft Punk produced song that hits hard. The beat is a bit much. It’s loud and features a really cool sample in the middle of the song. Musically and Lyrically this album has a lot of expectations.After all his 5th album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was one of his(if not his) best albums.I’m going to tell you if it met those expectations.

            A lot of people(For some Reason) didn’t like this album. I bet most of them just don’t like Kanye period. I mean Yeezus is a very daring title for anyone. The album then continues with the excellent Black Skinhead song. I love this song. Its high tempo, dark, and explosive. Kanye raps like a man possessed…..Its kind of tribal…but honestly Kanye has never made a song like this before.

            The 3rd song, I Am a God, is very very weird. Its got a dope beat and interesting yet not so onpoint lyrics. There’s even some horrocore in there also. The result is another daring song that hits hard. It was as if Kanye isn’t going for shock value, but he simply wants to make creative music….The 4th song New Slaves probally features the best lyrics of any song on this album. It features a creepy beat, and Kanye spits about Blacks being New Slaves. He gets so mad he goes “Bobby Bouche”(Waterboy Movie) lol. There is a very disappointing Frank Ocean feature at the end..At this point the album has delivered but how are the next six tracks you may ask.

            You would think that the next track Hold My Liquor, which is a successor to the weak Drunk n Hot Girls song from Graduation wouldn’t be good. It features Chief Keef who isn’t the best of rappers. However this song kinda feels like a record from 808’s and Heartbreak. Its effective. The next song is not for the kids. I’m In It is very sexual but very catchy.Kanye’s has those odd punchlines like “eatin Asian P**** all I need was sweet and sour sauce”, or “They be ballin in the D-League, I be speakin swaghili”

            The next song, Blood On the Leaves may be the albums best song, or at least the most dramatic. I absolutely love the vocals. The song definantly feels like a super charged 808s and Heartbreak song. The beat hits really hard eventually. The song is destined to be one of Kanye’s best songs. Everything comes together on this song, even if Kanye’s virtually singing on the whole song. Guilt Trip which feastures Kid Cudi is also very emotional.The sample is chopped up(not screwed) which gives the song a nice feel.

The next track, Send it Up is “The hottest thing in the club since In Da Club(by 50 Cent). Its odd but the song is effective in that sense as far as being a fun party track. However theres no real substance to the song which makes me think it could have been replaced by something else. The final track, Bound 2 is a great song that sounds like its right from Late Registration.. The song has a lot going on with it. Charlie Wilson even adds vocals. Its an odd way to end an album with a sort of for the ladies song.

So after hearing Yeezus plenty of times, I will say its not quite as good as Graduation or Late Registration but it is hot. Kanye proves he can make hits at will but where will his music go from here.


            

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area