Skip to main content

In Depth Review: Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP

Eminem-Marshall Mathers LP
In Depth Review
Opening Opinion, 9.75/10
Ah the legendary MMLP 1, also known as Eminem’s magnum opus. It is really really awesome, but its not really a flawless album. I actually didn’t hear this cd until 2002. My parents actually wouldn’t let me hear the whole thing. My Dad gave me a SSLP and MMLP approved songs cd which was the tracks deemed “not too explicit”. I cant blame my dad for doing that cause the early Eminem albums weren’t for kids.
The Intro PSA 2000 is stupid but hey it gets the ball rolling. “Kill You” is relentless and unforgiving. Em attacks the haters and women in general and specifically his mother. “Stan” is a classic song. The disgruntle fan writes to Em about how much of a fan he is.  The chorus is perfect here. Dido did her thang. The last verse always gives me chills when Em realizes that Stan is already dead.
Next is a skit from Paul Rosenburg which is funny. “Who Knew” is another song that just bashes people fans included. Em is really saying that he never thought he’d influence kids so much. The next skit is SOOOOO FUNNY! Its like damn Em is ruining Steve’s record label job lol. The result is one of Em’s darkest songs. “The Way I Am” is a classic song about frustration. It’s Em trying to cope with his star status and the inability to make another “My Name Is” type song. The lyrics are delivered with venom and precision that rivals any rapper.  He’s also very upset here with the fact that people are blaming his music for atrocities.
Ironically, Em didn’t just make another fun uptempo song; “The Real Slimshady” destroys “My Name Is”. It’s got a perfect Dr. Dre beat, and really funny lyrics. This is without a doubt in my top 10 rap songs ever, yes top 10. In this song Em reminds us all that he’s the real slimshady, and pretenders be gone! “Remember Me” is another dark track, but its more disturbing than aggressive. I still don’t know who the rappers are on the first 2 verses, but they do well.
“I’m Back” is another good song where Em shows lyrical prowess. “Marshall Mathers” Is another good introspective song. The Ken skit is too damn funny. Its just GAY. I’m not going into the details of this track. “Drug Ballad” is one of the more light hearted songs. Its just like the “Cum On Everybody” song on SLLP, but it’s a little better.
“Amityville” starts with Em whispering “Kill Kim Kim”. Bizarre from D-12 joins Em, but he can’t rap. The song is pretty good howerver. Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Xzibit join Em on “B*tch Please”. It’s a decent track that seems to play it safe. “Kim” Is by far, the most disturbing song in Em’s catalogue. He just goes on and on about how he will do his ex wife in. It s the only skippable song on this great album. On the plus side the production is good.
“Under the Influence” features the whole D-12. Its really good. “Criminal” closes the album. It is similar to “Still Don’t Give a F***” on the first album. Its just a thrill ride where Em goes berserk and robs + kills some lady. It’s the best song on the 2nd part of the album.
In closing I think Em’s album is a classic. There are better albums sure, but for Em its him at his creative best and his sharpest(Although MMLP2 is close). This album probably got a lot of people into rap, that maybe didn’t like it before.






Closing Opinion: 9.9/10

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area