Skip to main content

From Worst to Best: Lupe Fiasco

The Midwest Lyrical wordsmith's albums will be ranked!!! If you're a long time reader you might know how some of the albums rank already....just enjoy the post.




6) L.A.S.E.R.S. (83)-The Acronym “Love Always Shines Everytime Remember to Smile” is what this album stands for. This isn’t a bad album, but honestly its his worst. The production is somewhat weak; Lupe’s lyrics are nothing special either. There are some great songs here like “Words I Never Said”, “The Show Goes On”, and “All Black Everything”. The latter is like a reverse American kind of song…it’s dope. The album isn’t quite skippable, but for a first time listener to Lupe I wouldn’t recommend this one… Top Tracks: I Don’t Wanna Care Right Now, The Show Goes On, Word’s I Never Said, All Black Everything

5)
Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1 (92)-This was a very odd period for Mr. Fiasco. He was coming off his worst album, and wanted to make a follow up to what some call his best album. F&L 2 is really good, with great lyrics and interesting concepts on most songs. “B*tch Bad” is my favorite song despite the not so flashy beat. The album isn’t all good. Some songs are a bit too much….which I guess would now be known as typical Lupe songs. Overall though it’s a solid album. TT: B*tch Bad, Lamborghini Angels, ITAL (Roses), Cold War, Brave Heart, Strange Fruition.

4)
DROGAS Light (93)-The newest album of the bunch. DL goes hard muf***a! It’s not a whole lot better than F&L 2, in fact it’s plagued by a lot of problems LASERS had. However Lupe executes these modern/contemporary sounding rap songs really well. Some are kind of boring like “Promise” but “Made in the U.S.A.” is lit as is “Jump”. Some of the last songs sound like LASERS 2.0, but again mostly executed better. I’ve got to give this one a little more listens…Top Tracks: Made in the U.S.A., Jump, High, Tranquillo, Wild Child, NGL.

3)
Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool (95)-I gotta admit this album just about as good as F&L, and if you had asked me in 2010 which album I felt was better I’d probably say this one too. However the production isn’t as good…..there’s a tiny bit of filler…that’s it. It’s a dope album with lyrics off the charts. He tells rapper Slim Thug’s story on “Hip Hop Saved My Life”.  HE spits with ease on “Go Go Gadget Flow”. He tells you he refuses to tone it down on “Dumb It Down” and takes you on a trip in “Paris, Tokyo”. TT: Superstar, Paris Tokyo, Street’s On Fire, Hip Hop Saved My Life, Dumb It Down, Go Go Gadget Flow.

2)
Food & Liquor (95)-F&L 1 is just really damn good. There’s not really a weak song here, but obviously some are clearly better than others. He comes off sounding like a new age Nas on this album. What really gets me is how good the production is as well as lyricism. “Kick, Push” and “I Gotcha” are 2 of his best songs. I love “Hurt Me Soul” and “Pressure” features a then retired Jay Z. “American Terrorist” Is my favorite song by far. Its lit bro. TT: Real, Pressure, Hurt Me Soul, Kick Push, I Gotcha, American Terrorist, Daydreamin.

1)
Tetsuo & Youth (100)-That’s right this is his magnum opus…..like Kanye had his MBDTF, this is Lupe’s best album…and its pretty much flawless. He opens with a lyrical assault on “Mural” and it doesn’t let up much from there. The production is really really good too. I think I like “Prisoner 1 & 2” the most. This is the album we should have got in 2011 or 2012. Some songs aren’t stellar like the last one….but that’s about it. I enjoyed the posse cut, “Chopper” and I love the songs with Nikki Jean in the middle of the album. Top Tracks: Madonna, Deliver, Mural, Dots and Lines, Prisoner 1 & 2, Little Death, No Scratches.



Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area