Skip to main content

Video Game Review: God of War Ragnarok

 I recently beat God of War Ragnarok which means I have once again beaten every God of war game. Man this one was really really awesome. I mean I knew it would be good cause GOW 2018 was an incredible reboot. I'll try to avoid spoilers here and just give you the run down.



This game takes place a few years after the end of the first one....and right away Freya (the final boss's mom from the last game) is trying to kill you. It's really exciting right from the jump. Really throughout the game there was rarely a dull moment. Atreus, Kratos' son is older and a battle hardened warrior at this point. He does alot more for you in combat then he did in the previous game....and there are even a few segments in the game that you play as him. Kratos is a little more laid back then he's ever been. He's still the overprotective dad tho.

The game's combat has been revamped a little and its armor menus have been simplified. For one you get the blades of chaos early in the game and they can be used to climb up and down high spots. They can even pull certain environmental objects. They burn stuff like in the first game too. The Leviathan axe is used alot too. Like in the first game it freezes things but this time they really used it to its full potential. There are quite a few puzzles that take advantage of this. 



And yes the enemies....unlike the 2018 game there's a great variety of enemies. They provide different challenges. I mean there are some returning enemies like Dragur and Ogres....but there's so many new ones. You also spend a lot of it fighting against Asgaurdian troops and there's different kinds of enemies in that faction. There are these lizard men called Grim which I absolutely despised lol.

I've got to talk briefly about the supporting cast of characters. The dwarves are back and funny as ever. There's also Freya (who of course doesn't stay mad at you forever). Freya's brother is also a good character. Mimir is pretty cool too....the talking head yeah that guy. There's a black girl, Angroboda that helps Atreus alot. 

The game is long. There are some terrific boss fights too. Some just straight come out of nowhere too....like two Valkeryies at once..which may be the game's best fight. Oddly enough as Atreus you'll spend time with Thor and Odin.....yeah odd dynamic right? I found the final bosses to be pretty good too. You fight Thor early on in the game and again near its end. Odin's first fight isn't too hard, but his 2nd phase constantly keeps you on your toes.

All in all this is a terrific game! I cant quite say its peferfect. I felt 2018 had a better story....but hey this game is amazing. I totally recommend it!

Verdict 9.9

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area