Skip to main content

good Kid m.A.A.D. city Review Two-Track by Track


Kendrick Lamar

Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City[Deluxe Edition]

Album Review

Seeing is this is the rap album of the year[2012], it was only tradition that I do a track by track breakdown of this work of art.

 

 

Sherane a.k.a. Master Splinter’s Daughter- The album starts with the “homies” & Kendrick Lamar giving their lives over to Jesus threw prayer. This part of the story is revealed later in the album. This song is pretty good.  Kdot talks about him being seduced by a gurl named Sherane. The song ends with Lamar’s mom and dad calling his voicemail. The album is off to a good start.

8.5/10


B*Tch, Don’t Kill My Vibe-
This song has a pretty mellow feel to it. However Kendrik raps pretty well on it. “I am a sinner and I’m prolly gonna sin again” goes the chorus. The female voice on the chorus makes this track a winner.

8.5/10

 

Backseat Freestyle- This isn’t relevant to the album’s story, but this is one hot freestyle. Kendrick raps about wanting a d**k big as the Eiffel Tower so he can “F*** the world for 72 hours.” This is one of my favorite tracks on the album.

9.5/10

 

The Art of Peer Pressure- Kendrick tells a story of him hangin with the homies. The song’s title fits the song well. He really is quite the storyteller as the beat changes up to provide a great backdrop. “I hop out that mothaf***a and go dooop dooop doop”

8.5/10

 

Money Trees- This is one of the catchiest songs on the album. I really like how Kdot glides over the dope beat. I really like the part with the gurl singing a mini chorus. The skit with Kdot’s Mom and Dad is so funny.

9.5/10

 

Poetic Justice- Lamar is joined by Drizzy Drake on this one. This album is for the ladies and man is it effective. The song has a dope beat. I think’s Drake’s verse is good but he can’t steal the show.

8.5/10

 

good kid- Pharell of the Neptunes produced this track, and he provides the chorus. This song is part one of a 2 parter(title track).

9/10

 

m.A.A.d. City- the 2nd title track is longer than good kid. This song is darker than the predecessor. Kdot is joined by MC Eiht. This song is really dope and it has a frantic beat.

9/10

 

Swimming Pools(Drank)- The single is really nice. Kendrick raps about the influence of drinking in his community and its effect on him. I really like the chorus.

9.5/10

 

Sing About Me, I’m Dying of Thirst- On most albums, this would be the last song. However it continues the story of the “homies”. Kendrick raps from a woman’s point of view at some point. Later in the song they are met by a woman who gets them to pray to Jesus. The song is really good. I like the simple chorus.

9/10

 

Real- This track is just dope. It’s incredibly catchy. The story of the “homies” and Kdot’s night out basically ends here.

9.5/10

 

Compton- West Coast legend Dr. Dre joins Kendrick Lamar…err “King Kendrick Lamar”. This song is just awesome. Just Blaze handles the beat. “Aint no city quite like mine…..From the city of Compton.” At the end of the song, Kendrick tells his mom he’ll use the van and be back in just 15 minutes lol.

10/10

 

The Recipe- The first of the bonus tracks is a banger. The beat is very varied, mixed in with a really hot sample. You just gotta love this song.

10/10

 

Black Boy Fly- Another good song. This one is about his how people feel about Kdot’s rise to fame. The song is rather laid back.

8.5/10

 

Now or Never- Mary J. Blige helps him close out this stellar album. The chorus is the highpoint of this song.

9/10

2nd Opinion: The album is a perfect 10/10.....its a modern day rap classic

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area