Skip to main content

From Worst to Best: Rick Ross

9. Port of Miami (79): Ross’s debut isn’t bad. The album was very well produced and had a lot of guests. I wasn’t a fan of Ross at all before I heard this.  Lyrically the album is rather weak. Still tho, for a 2006 rap album, its not bad at all. Top Tracks: Push It, Hustlin, White House, Hustlin (Remix)



8.Hood Billionaire (80): HB is good, but Ross sounds really uninspired on this album. There are some gems…but I seriously think he rushed this since it came out in 2014 after Mastermind. Still the production is good…..TT: Movin Bass, If They Knew, Burn.

7.Trilla (80): I have slightly more regard for this album over the first 2 albums you saw. Trilla has filler, sure; but there are seriously good songs here. The guests are here too, just like on Port of Miami. The production sounds flashier than on PoM, albeit not really better. TT: This is the Life, All I Have in This World, The Boss, Maybach Music.
6.Mastermind (87): While somewhat uneven, Mastermind is really good. Ross flaunts the gangsta boss life style. There’s not really that many guests like there are with most Ross albums. The album has kinda grown on me from 2014. “Drug Dealer’s Dream” is kinda dumb tho. Then there’s songs like “War Ready” and “Sanctified” which are just excellent. Top Tracks: The Devil is a Lie, Sanctified, Rich Is Ganagsta, Thug Cry, War Ready

5.Deeper Than Rap (88): This 2009 album is the one that me realize; Ross is a potent lyricist. Before that it was like ehhh. You can tell from the first song, “Mafia Music” that he ain’t playin. There’s a lot of guests for arguably is Ross’s most unknown album. “Maybach Music II” is dope, as is “All I Really Want”. The production isn’t really as good as other albums here, but again, the lyrics are dope. TT: Maybach Music II, Mafia Music, Face, All I Really Want, Yacht Club, Magnificent.



4. God Forgives, I Don’t (89): How would Ross come back 2 years after Teflon Don? With another dope album. On this album I feel Ross had perfected his sound….or so I thought. There’s filler sure. In fact the placement of the all those love songs back to back is kinda annoying. However songs like “3 Kings” and “Sixteen” are really amazing. Meanwhile I like “Maybach Music IV” but I gotta admit it’s the weakest of the 5 despite having Ne-Yo. “Touch N You” is the best love song of the bunch which features Usher.


3.Black Market (90): BM is a weird Ross album for Ross. It’s more focused and laid back…kind of like Deeper Than Rap, but better, more entertaining. The production and lyricism ain’t bad either. Some of these songs are a little too similar, but that’s a minor complaint. “One of Us” is arguably the best song Nas has been featured on…on a Ross album. (Yeah there’s more than one). TT: Dope Dick, Money Dance, Ghostwriter, Black Opium.

2.Rather You Than Me (93): Critics weren’t really feeling this one…but I sure was. This 2017 offering from Rossay is like a better version of…idk. Its just dope af. Everything clicks here for the most part. Ross is lyrically really good, but you kind of expect that by now. “Maybach V” is amazing. “Summer Seventeen” sounds too similar to “Purple Lamborghini” which was on the Suicide Squad album. I like most of these songs…but like BM, some are a little too similar. Top Tracks: Trap Trap Trap, Santorini Greece, She on My Dick, Powers That Be, Maybach V.



1.Teflon Don (94): This 2010 album has aged very well. Every song is good to great here. The production is stellar too. Ross improves lyrically too. The guests are so well used to: Trey Songz, Drake, and Kanye in particular. “Maybach Music III” might be the best Maybach Music out of them all. “I’m Not a Star” might be the best solo song Ross has ever done. Who could forget “Free Mason” which features a powerful verse from Jay-Z. Ultimately the album is looking to be untoppable for Ross, as RYTM was a good attempt.

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area