Skip to main content

My Favorite Rap albums from 2000-2010


My Favorite Rap Albums (2000-2010)

Following is a list of my favorite rap albums. I judge more based on how much I listened to the album at the time I copped  it, not based on any type of score. The albums aren’t in order. There are 50 total….hope u enjoy it or if you disagree with what I say about an album just let me know.



Graduation(2007): Kanye West- This album is probably my absolute favorite out of all Mr. West’s album. For starters it was highly anticipated. The album didn’t disappoint at all, with the exception of Drunk n. Hot Girls. The beats were great, but what surprised me most was K’s Lyrical growth which was evident on many songs.

Favorite Tracks: Stronger, Can’t Tell Me Nothing, Big Brother



Word of Mouf(2001): Ludacris-This was the first rap album I ever bought. I hailed it as my favorite until the aforementioned album. Ludacris just has so many hits on this one. This is definitely the album that helped get me into Rap. Luda’s punchlines are funny and his subject matter is very raunchy. I still consider this to be Luda’s best work.

F.T: Rollout, Move B**tch, Block Lockdown



Get Rich or Die Tryin(2003): 50 Cent- My favorite album in 03 by a longshot. 50’s best album by far. The production from Dr. Dre is top notch. 50 really took me and the rap world in a chokehold with this one. I remember listenin to the album multiple times in my cd player without taking it out for a couple weeks.

Favorite tracks: In Da Club, Patiently Waiting, Wanksta



King(2006): T.I- TI called himself the king in 2004 with Urban Legend, but not too many took him seriously. This album however will go down as one of my top favorites. The beats are absolutely stellar, and TI’s rhythmic flow is great. This album is fueled by a very solid first half but it loses steam a little bit in the last few songs. However the song What You Know is still his best song.

FT: What You Know, Live in the Sky, King Back



The Black Album(2003): Jay-z- Jay wanted to retire on top, and he certainly could of with this album. This album has a unique approach to its construction. Jay is able to hold my attention with no other rappers spitting verses. He also got a selection of hot beats from long time collaborators like Neptunes and TImbaland.

FT: Dirt Off your Shoulder,What More Can I Say, My 1st Songs



The Cool(2007): Lupe Fiasco- A lot can said about Lupe Fiasco’s the Cool. It’s a concept album that was executed very well. After hearing this I had to conclude that Lupe was one of the most gifted lyricists to ever grace a mic. Sure there’s some filler but none of the songs are just straight skippable. Some of the songs are kinda slow, and others are just plain weird but the result is one of the more creative albums.



The Last Tempatation(2002): Ja Rule- My favorite Ja Rule album. It’s low on filler, and was Ja’s last album on top. There’s a nice amount of guest spots, but Ja holds his own most of the songs.

F.T: Thug Lovin, The Pledge Remix, Murder Reigns



Stillmatic(2001): Nas-This is the album that really made me a Nas fan. This album is just something really special. Nas rapped like he had something to prove, and he got it done. His lyrics are always on point on this album. There are a couple of songs that don’t really stand out, but otherwise this one of rap’s best album.

F.T.: One Mic, Got Ur Self A Gun, What Goes Around





All or Nothing(2005): Fat Joe- This was the first Fat Joe album I ever heard, and from the opening singles I could tell it was going to be hot. The album isn’t really revolutionary, but its executed really well. The beats are hot and there isn’t much filler…………

F.T.: So much More, Temptation Pt 2, Lean Back Remix



Under Construction (2002): Missy Elliot- Back in the early part of the decade, Missy Elliot was the best female mc. This album has some crazy beats, and Missy’s flow is really good. It’s amazing that she could make 2 albums that are so good back to back. Missy

F.T.: Gossip Folks, Work It, Funky Fresh Dressed



Man on the Moon 1(2009): Kid Cudi- Mr. Mescudi really surprised me with this one. I knew it would be different but this album is near a near classic debut. I like every song here. Cudi is an underrated lyricist.

F.T.: Sky Might Fall, Hyyer, Make Her Say



American Gangster (2007): Jay-z- Jay really came back with a strong lyrical effort after a disappointing Kingdome Come comeback album. On this album Jay seems really focused, and there’s a good deal of similar sounding songs, but there are some real stand outs, and a good amount of guest features. I think Diddy’s crew did a good job producing the majority of this album.

F.T.: Roc Boys, Hello Brooklyn, Ignorant Sh*t



The Eminem Show(2002) : Eminem- While its not Em’s best album due to some filler, The E.S. remains my favorite Em album. Eminem’s flow is dope on every song. The white boy proves he’s as good as any rapper out on songs like Till I Collapse.

F.T: Without Me, Square Dance, Till I Collapse



College Dropout(2004): Kanye West- A friend that passed let me hear this one back in 04 and it was love for my ears at first listen. I had heard Kanye on Through the Wire in 03, and instantly thought this guy is a decent rapper. This album is amazing. Every song is good. He even explains how he got in the game.

F.T: Slow Jamz, All Falls Down, Last Call





The Recession(2008): Young Jeezy-Young Jeezy may have been on the top of his game when he made this. He’s sped up his flow and the beats left me with little to be desired. Some of the beats sound similar but this a good dirty south album. I went back and forth on the rating of this album, but rest assured it’s Jeezy’s ‘best to date.

F.T: Crazy World, Put On, My President



Miss E…So Addictive(2001): Missy Elliot-A lot can be said about this album. It really put Missy a huge star for one. I really like all the songs. I find it funny that the Jay-z version of One Minute Man isn’t as good as Ludacris’. The thing that really makes the album stand out is the production. TImbaland proves why he’s the best producer on this one.

F.T: Get Ur Freak On, Take Away, One Minute Man



Paper Trail(2008): T.I.- This is a very interesting album. Before it came out I wasn’t so sure how hot it would be.  But the bottom line is: He topped King. King was the hottest dirty south album I had heard and this one edges it out. It has more depth, and great lyrics and beats. TI is in top form

F.T.: No Matter What, Swagga Like Us, I’m Illy





Untitled(2008): Nas- Nas came back in 08 after a good 06 outing. This album is a tad bit better than Hip Hop is Dead though. Nas is a veteran in the rap game, and he spits on the topic of the N word with relative ease. This may sound funny but Nas might be the best to ever do it.

F.T.: Sly Fox, Hero, Black President



Late Registration(2005): Kanye West- After the incredibly successful College Dropout, I was mad excited to cop this one….i mean real hype. While not as good as C.D., this album is has some different sounds that are very sonically rich. I think this album falls short in the number of great songs, but its still a very good album.

F.T.: Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Gold Digger, Addiction



Food & Liquor(2006): Lupe Fiasco- The first time I heard Lupe was on Kanye’s Touch the Sky song. This album is hailed as a classic to some, I won’t go that far but its really dope. His lyrical ability is incredible. I would say this album is just as good as The Cool. He’s got a good amount of guest spots here, and solid production like on I Gotcha.

F.T.: Kick Push, American Terrorist, The Cool



Big Boi(2010): Sir Luscious Left Foot- A great great dirty south album. I might go on and say it’s the best dirty south album I’ve heard. It solidifies Big Boi as an elite MC(Which I already knew he was). The album has really hot and varied beats. There’ really no filler which I think puts it above TI’s Paper Trail. Last year’s summer belonged to ½ of Outkast.

F.T.: Be Still, Turns Me On, Back Up Plan



Blueprint(2001) : Jay-z- The first Blueprint is a classic. I don’t think I got a hold of this one till 2002 but anyways, Jay takes aim at Nas and Mobb Deep, and he goes toe to toe with Eminem. Not too many albums have no filler. I’d say the worst song is Jigga that N***a, and that song isn’t bad. The Last song has 2 bonus tracks that are also very hot. It would be followed by a very mixed effort BP2 which had Jay trying way to hard to stay ahead of the game…

F.T: Renegade, Izzo(H.O.V.A.), U Don’ t Know



Thank Me Later(2010): Drake- I got to admit this album had insanely high expectations for it. I on the other hand just saw it as a good debut album…Over is really hot, but I think the album was constructed poorly. You have way too many guest spots, and Drake singing way too much on songs like Karoke.

F.T.: Light UP, Over, Fireworks



L.A.X(2008).: The Game- LAX was one of those albums that I really liked right away. It’s constructed really well. The Game’s delivery is great, and there’s really no songs on this album I find skippable. The DMX Intro and outro are laughable though. Letter to the King with Nas is a great ode to MLK.

F.T.: State Of Emergency, Dope Boys, Game’s Pain



Tha Carter III(2008): Lil Wayne- I’m not a huge Lil Wayne fan but this album is just plain fire, it was a little overanticiapted though. Wayne spits fire but theres’s some obvious filler on this album. It’s a tad bit better than TCII overall due to monster songs like A Milli and Lollipop.

F.T.: Mr. Carter, Phone Home, You Ain’t Got Nuthin







Let’s Get it Thug Motivation(2005): Young Jeezy- I didn’t get a hold of this one until late 2005. This album is loaded with street bangers but some songs are clearly too similar. Jeezy’s flow is slow is slow as molasses, allowing you to predict some of his punchlines before he even finishes. This album is full of dope boy anthems.

     F.T.:And Then What, Soul Survivor, Standing Ovation



From Nothin to Somethin(2007): Fabolous- This album has its flaws but its really good, especially the first half. Loso’s wordplay is really good.

The collabos are all pretty good but the love songs sound a little too generic in the middle of the album. The last song was best left off the album, but ultimately this is a dope album.







 Raw Footage(2008): Ice Cube- This is the album that got me into Ice Cube as a rapper, if I’m not mistaken. This album has a lot of really good songs on it, and its low filler. Cube’s delivery rough as he raps like its 1992 again.  There are a couple songs I don’t care for but for the most part I like most all the songs on this one. There are few guest spots as Cube dominates the album.

F.T.:It Takes  a Nation, Hood Mentality, Get Used To It





Ultimate Victory(2007): Chamillionaire- This album was considerably better than its predecessor, despite selling less. There’s some really good socially conscious songs like the Morning Evening and Evening News. Cham proves that he’s one of the better rappers in the South.





Chicken & Beer(2003): Ludacris-It was interesting seeing how Luda would come back out after Word of Mouth. The result is a shorter album with more varied beats. There’s really only 1 track that I didn’t’ like which was Teamwork. Luda doesn’t hesitate to give the DTP crew some time to shine as well. The best song is a toss up between Eyebrows Down and the single Stand Up.

F.T.: Hip Hop Quotables, Eyebrows Down, Stand Up.



The Blueprint 3(2009): Jay-z-One has to wonder when will the hits stop for jigga. BP3 is better than the 2nd Blueprint, and better than American Gangster in my opinion. There’s a lot of really good songs, but others just blend in for a great album. His lyrics aren’t razor sharp like On AG, but the beats make up for that.
F.T.: Run This Town, Already Home, Empire State of Mind



The Documentary: The Game- Now I wasn’t really a fan of the Game until I heard this album. I had heard him rap on Lloyd Banks album and Young Buck’s Album, but he didn’t impress me there. On this though, Game made clear he was the most talented rapper in G-Unit. The beats are fire and every song is good to great except Runnin with Tony Yayo(go figure). The album is one of the West Coast’s best.

F.T: Dreams, Higher, Hate It Or Love it.



The Rest is History(2004): Jin- The 106 & Park Freestyle champ released a pretty damn good album. Lyrically he’s pretty average, but his delivery is good. The album covers a lot of bases, and doesn’t really play it safe as far as most 2004 albums go.

F.T.: Get Your Handz Off, Learn Chinese, Senorita



Curtis: 50 Cent- This isn’t a monster album, but when it first came out I was really feelin it. The album is a good look for 50, who has collaborations with Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake. The album didn’t have strong singles at first, but knowing 50 he decided to release I Get Money and AyoTechnology to propel the album.

FT: I Get Money, Ayotechonology, Straight to the Bank.



God’s Son(2002): Nas- It was interesting to see how Nas would respond to the fact he made a near classic in Stillmattic. GS is a great album, and seems to be a little more radio friendly. Songs like I Can are great for young kids, and he teams up with Pac on Thugz Mansion. He explains his view on how things got started on Last real N*gga alive.

     F.T.: Made You Look, The Cross, Warrior’s Song



I’m a Hustla(2005): Cassidy- I wasn’t introduced to this one till about a year after it came out. This album is really good and balanced. Cassidy keeps it hood, but dedicates a couple tracks to the ladies. 6 minutes with Lil Wayne and Fabolous is an epic track. The Message has a good message to all black men.

F.T: B-Boy Stance, 6 Minutes, I’m A Hustla.



Man on the Moon 2(2010): Kid Cudi- While the first MotM was a near classic and incredibly impressive for a debut album, Cudi’s sophomore didn’t quite get close to that mark. However the album is darker and there’s a lot of good material. The album loses some steam in the last third of the album but overall it’s a great album.

F.T.: Revofev, Mojo So Dope, Maniac



Nellyville(2002): Nelly- Nellyville was a must have for every rap fan it seemed back in 02. Nelly had some huge singles off this one….the biggest Hot in Here and epic club banger. Nelly Pimps hard on Pimp Juice, and stunts with the St. Lunatics on Air Force Ones. My personal favorite track is #1 where he openly takes shots at rap legend KRS-One.

F.T.: #1, Airforce Ones, Hot In Herre



Relapse(2009): Eminem- I find it hard to believe it I was addicted to this album. Its almost like he was trying too hard to be obscene and offensive. Regardless Relapse was the first summer album I bought in 2009. It is not for the weak of heart. On the upside the album features some dope lyricism and semi-interesting beats. It seems like every Eminem album has the ususal party track, and We Made You is mad funny.

F.T.: Beautiful, We Made You, Underground



Doctor’s Advocate(2006): The Game- After a stellar debut, Game was kicked out of G-Unit by an angry(and jealous) 50 Cent. On top of that he had to make this album without a beat by his idol Dr. Dre. Game name drops a lot on this album, and most notably Dr. Dre. With beats by Kanye, Scott Storch, and will.i.am the Game was still able to make a really good album. The first half is without a doubt the better half.

F.T.: Too Much, Doctor’s Advocate, Let’s Ride



Theater of the Mind(2010): Ludacris-One of Luda’s best albums. Luda’s punchline flow is much improved over Release Therapy. Luda goes toe to toe with the greats in the game, Jay-z and Nas, and he holds his own on one song. There seems to be a little bit of everything on this one, but a few songs hold it back from a classic.

F.T. I Do it for Hip Hop. Undisputed, Last of a Dying Breed



Tha Carter II(2005): Lil Wayne- I must admit, before I heard this album I was not a Lil Wayne fan. He’s very ambitious on this album, calling himself the best rapper alive on one song. There aren’t many guest spots, but really Wayne holds hisown on the album. I don’t think this is the better than TCIII due to that one had more great songs, but about the same amount of filler.

F.T.: Best Rapper Alive, Hustler Musick, Feel Me



Joe Budden(2004): Joe Budden-Joe is a rapper without a gimmick but regardless, this album is really good. Budden has his club bangers here and there, and a couple songs for the ladies….it would be a generic rap album, but Budden gets really personal on a few tracks like Calm Down.

The production is tight, and Budden shows up on all the songs.



Loso’s Way(2009): Fabolous- Fab’s 09 effort is better than FNTS from 07 for a couple reasons. One is lyrical conistency. I really like how the album starts out with some gritty songs, then goes poppish, then the album falls in line with some good love songs….but it stays pretty consistent.

F.T.: Imma Do it, Throw it in the Bag, Lullaby



Recovery(2010): Eminem- Em was apparently off the drugs for this one. He has basically reinvented himself for this one. There’s no goofy skits or anything….Eminem admitted to letting fans down with Relapse, which was a good album so I don’t understand. Lyrically though he’s on fire on this album. Where the album falters is with some boring beats and old samples. It works on No Love however with Lil Wayne.

F.T.: No Love, Cold Wind Blows, Won’t Back Down.



Hip Hop is Dead(2006): Nas- Nasty Nas made a big statement with this album’s title. He does a pretty good job of staying on that topic throughout the album. Ultimately this isn’t as good as Untitled but this album was one of my favorites in 2006 and was better than Jay’s Kingdome Come Album. Ironically the 2 squashed the beef on this album on the excellent Black Republican.

F.T.: Hip Hop Is Dead, Blunt Ashes, Blunt Ashes



My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy(2010): Kanye West- This the most controversial album on the list, that’s partly why its last. The album draws on crazy and religious concepts. Kanye has created true art, dark twisted art, but art nonetheless. I think the first half of the album is the more conventional side but then again there’s no conventional rap on this amazing album. It has elements of all his albums including 808’s & Heartbreak.

F.T.: Power, All of the Lights, So Appalled




Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area