Skip to main content

Rap Regions: West Coast

Rap Regions

West Coast



Welcome ot the Westiiiiiide. The place where gangsta rap became more acceptable to the world. The west coast was on life support for many years with only Snoop Dogg makin hits. The death of the legendary 2pac was a big reason for this.





Major Cities of Influence: Los Angeles(Compton, etc) & California



Key rapping traits: Lyricism are important, but more emphasis on delivery. The lyrics are very aggressive, in fact more hardcore than most East Coast rap.



If it were a kid at high school: The upperclassman who’s a bully. He’s also fairly popular, but in more of an infamous way.



Major Rappers

2pac: A LOT can be said about Tupac Shakur. For starters he really changed the rap game. I suppose his impact on the game can only be compared to Michael Jordan in the NBA. After Pac, rap was elevated to a new level. Pac wasn’t the best at flowing nor did he have the most clever wordplay, but his STORYTELLING and VERSATILITY were almost unrivaled. He had his gangster songs like Hit Em Up, Hail Mary. He had really good party songs, like my personal favorite, California Love, Then he had tremendous socially conscious songs like Dear Mama, Brenda’s Got A Baby, and Keep Ya Head Up. Overall I feel like saying he wasn’t the greatest rapper of all time(G.O.A.T.) is silly. Pac was the most influential by far and he’ll never be matched.

A Notable Song: California Love



Ice Cube: I have to admit, before I heard Ice Cube in his prime and before I heard “Laugh Now Cry Later” and “Raw Footage”, I didn’t really look up to Cube’s rapping career. The best rapper from the N.W.A. has a strong voice and great delivery. He’s not as versatile as some rappers, but he wasn’t afraid to tackle some of the toughest issues a rapper can talk about. Overall Cube is one of the best to ever do it.

A Notable Song: It Takes A Nation



Snoop Dogg: Snoop isn’t the best rapper around, however his LONGEVITY in the rap game really stands out to me. Even before I was into rap, Snoop was doing his thing. His career started out with a classic, and since then its been up and down…literally. Anyways he isn’t really so much a west coast rapper anymore. He’s incorporated A LOT of sound from the East Coast(Neptunes) and dirty south(Lil Jon), making him a very versatile rapper. Snoop also likes old funkadelic type music; so when he incorporates that into his sound the result is usually good.

ANS: Drop It Like Its Hot





Dr. Dre: Dre was a member of the NWA. He changed the rap game forever with his beats. He wasn’t the best rapper, but he made beats that were fresh for the west coast. He worked closely with Snoop Dogg, and signed Eminem, the greatest white rapper of all time. Dre also gave 50 Cent his monster hit In Da Club. Overall I’d have to say Dr. Dre makes the best beats out of anyone. His only competion would be Timbaland.

ANS:  Still Dre



The Game: The Game is a truly underrated rapper. He is the only hope for the west coast. I am patiently waiting for his Red Album. He does a lot of name dropping, which annoys many other rappers, but I personally don’t care. I think the Game is the 3rd best rapper in the entire history of West Coast rap(Pac, then Ice Cube)

ANS: It’s Okay(One Blood)



Notable Producers(s)

(See Dr. Dre above)







Key Albums by Other notable artitsts

Eazy-E: Eazy Duz It

E-40: My Ghetto Report Card










Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area