Skip to main content

Kanye Wests' Graduation's In Depth Review


Graduation


 

Kanye West

 

In Depth Review

 

 

Opening Opinion: 9.5

 

            My hype for this album was very high. It’s kind of a hard feeling to describe. I had heard enough singles form the album to know that it was dope. However what wasn’t apparent to me is this going to be his best album, or not. Graduation certainly lives up to that hype….and it’s my favorite rap album ever.

 

            The first 3 songs are all pretty different. “Champion” has a great sample, and Kanye shows improved lyrical ability on this song, as well as the whole album. “Good Morning”, the first track is a great opener. It’s laid back, but incredibly effective. There’s a Jay-z quote at the end of it. Stronger samples the Daft Punk song “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”. The song isn’t that great lyrically, but the way it flows together just oozes creativity. I love the chorus also.

 

            “I Wonder” is a really cool track. Kanye raps slowly over a very elegant beat. The sampled chorus just works wonders here. The song is an interesting one to say the least. “Good Life” is a great feal-good kind of track. For one it samples MJ’s “P.Y.T.(Pretty Young Thing)” song. Kanye’s lyrics are great here. AH did I mention he is joined by T-Pain here. Yes it seems that just about every Kanye album features who ever is hot at the time he makes his album. You know what? There’s nothing wrong with that. T-Pain does a great job here.

 

            “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the album’s best track. The beat is low and kind of a backdrop, but there’s 2 samples in this song. A lady singin out stuff(still not sure what she’s saying) and Young Jeezy sayin, “Yea” and “hahah”. I was a little skeptical about this song at first, but it quickly grew on me. Kanye’s lyrics hit hard, and everything blends together quite well.

 

           
            “Barry Bonds” features Lil Wayne(see whoever was hot around the time). Anyways Kanye goes first and sets the bar high, but Weezy does a pretty good job on this track. The beat just sounds like a typical Kanye beat. “Drunk N Hot Girls” isn’t a great song, but its not terrible either. The beat is hot. Did I mention it features a singing Mos Def. The song runs a lil too long, but is fairly catchy.

 

            The next song is “Flashing Lights”. An extremely dope song. The beat is awesome. Kanye spits about a woman, “She in the mirror dancing so sleezy….” The chorus seals the deal as this is one of the best songs on the album. “Feelin Like Katrina with No F.E.M.A. , Like Martin with no Gina”, wraps West. “Everything I Am” is the most laid back song here, and its well placed on the album. Kanye gets very introspective on it. “Here we go again, Common passed on this beat, I made it to a jam”. The song is really good even though sometimes it’s too laid back for its own good.

 

            “The Glory” is a high energy song. Kanye spits over a standard beat with a very well used sample. His lyrics are impeccable here. “Its easy, the hood love to listen to Weezy and Jeezy, and oh yea Yeezy”. “The Glory” is a very celebratory song.

“Hoemcoming” is Kanye’s ode to Chai City..aka Chicago. It’s an interesting song. Chris Martin does a great job on the chorus. The beat is perfect for the song.

 

            “Big Brother” is Kanye’s ode to Jay-z. It’s a terrific telling of how Kanye was first very nervous of meeting Jay, and then how Jay helped him grow as an artist. The lyricism on this song is no joke. This is also the only song on the album that Kanye did not produce. It has kinda of a cinematic/royalty feel to it. “My big Brother, was Big’s Brother…..”

 

2nd Opinion: 9.5

            Kanye’s 3rd album is just as good as his 2nd album. It has its flaws, but its strengths far out weight those flaws.

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area