Skip to main content

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.     Kanye West-Graduation-Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3rd album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album.

2.     Ludacris-Word of Mouf-Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area Codes”, and “Saturday (Oooh! Oooh!)”. I really like the skits. Also there’s some good B-sides like “Freaky Thangs” and “Cry Babies (Oh No)”. This is a must have for any Luda fans collection.

3.     T.I.-King-This album had to get bumped up a few spots. It’s an album that I played an awful lot back when it came out, and it still holds up really well today. It’s got T.I.’s best song “What You Know”. In fact the first 5 songs are just superb. I really like “Why You Wanna” and “Top Back” too. Sure the first half is the better half but that’s normal. The album’s production is terrific. I really like how engaged T.I. is lyrically on it too. While I really enjoyed Urban Legend….this is the one that made me a huge fan.

4.     Eminem-The Eminem Show-There’s just something about when this album came out…it’s one of his best albums sure but I love this one. It’s arguably Eminem at his lyrical best....sure there is some filler. Songs like “Business” and “Square Dance” are dope af. Then there’s a lyrical performance on a song like “Till I Collapse”. The production on a song like “Without Me” or “Cleanin Out My Closet” are just so great. I can understand why some say this is his best album…it has an awful lot going for it.

5.     Jay-Z -The Black Album-Yeah I had to think about it…in recent years this has become my favorite album from Jigga. The production is truly stellar. Also who could forget Jay has no other rappers spit verses on this one. I have always loved “Change Clothes”, which has a great Neptunes beat. I also love “Encore” and “Threat”. However  “Dirt Off Your Shoulder” might be my favorite song on the album. Jay demanded we give him his flowers in 2003…as if he didn’t earn them.

6.     Kanye West-The College Dropout-This album is just so special to me. My friend who passed away put me on to it. It’s probably a top 3 album from Kanye either way you put it. The production is fresh and varied. Kanye spits pretty damn well on it too. “Through the Wire” is a great moment. Then there’s “The New Work Out Plan” and an extended version of “Slow Jamz”. However I feel “All Falls Down” might be the best song here tho. You can’t forget about “Jesus Walks” either. Classic!

7.     50 Cent -Get Rich or Die Tryin-The album that didn’t leave my cd player for 2 weeks upon purchase had to be in the top 10. The album is hard af. I couldn’t see this one being any higher tho. Yeah the songs are fire but some of them completely outshine others. “Patiently Waiting” featuring Eminem is the best song imo. “High All the Time” and “U Not Like Me” are another 2 of my favorites. Of course you can’t forget about the song that put him out there; “In Da Club”. The album is really really well produced. G-UNIT!

8.     The Notorious B.I.G.-Ready to Die-I have a confession. I didn’t hear this album till 2005 when my Dad let me listen to it. Man Biggie is in prime form here. To be honest this is one of those 10/10 albums that I never get tired of. “Gimme the Loot” is so dope man as Biggie spits from another viewpoint with his own. Then there’s “Juicy” where everything flows so flawlessly. I really like “Respect” and “Machine Gun Funk” too. 90s rap supreme!

9.     Nas-Stillmatic-This is the Nas album that got me into Nas. Like I had no idea he was this nice till I heard this. I feel the production is pretty damn good here. However the real star is Nas’s lyrical ability and his storytelling. Songs like “Rewind” and “2nd Childhood” are so amazing. Then there’s “One Mic” and “Got Ur Self A…”. Who could forget the brutal diss to Jay-z “Ether”. A definite classic in Nas’ catalogue.

10.  Kanye West-My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy-As incredible and flawlessly executed as a rap album can perhaps be….MBDTF is Kanye’s best album to me. HOWEVER, its not my favorite by him. Sure, I like every song but some quite a bit more than others. “All of the Lights” has a top 5 beat in the genre. Well really a lot of these songs have insane production. I still think “Runaway” is overated as hell. The first 3 songs here are all better…. “Dark Fantasy”, “Power”, and “Gorgeous”. Arguably one of my most listened to albums to date.

11.  Jay-Z & Kanye West-Watch the Throne-This is a special album in that I kinda liked it when it first came out, but as years have gone by: I love it. The Throne as they’re called just go off each other so well like on songs like “Otis”. You can’t forget about the anthemic “Niggas in Paris”. This is a well-produced album, and this is a well rapped album. Sure it could have been slightly better..but for me its dope af. I like those bonus tracks too like “Primetime”.

12.  Lupe Fiasco-Food & Liquor-It was a really close decision for this spot over the next album. While I don’t feel this is Lupe’s best album…it is his most memorable tho. “Real” is a great opener; then the album hits you with great song after great song like “Kick,Push”, “I Gotcha”, and “Daydreamin”. Don’t sleep on B-sides like “Pressure” featuring Jay-Z, and “The Cool”. The album is quite a bit better produced than another Lupe album that made my list.

13.  J. Cole- 2014 Forest Hills Drive-This wasn’t the only J.Cole album to make the list. This is objectively his best album. The album is just filled front to back with varied and great songs. “Fire Squad” is dope af. The back to back songs of “G.O.M.D.” and “No Role Modelz” are 2 of his best. I can really relate to “Wet Dreamz” too lol. This is a classic folks.

14.  Kid Cudi-Man on the Moon:The End Of Day- Belive it or not I didn’t like this album that much on first listen….but when it clicked ,it clicked! This may seem crazy but I like every song here. Some of my favorites are “Day N NIte”, “Soundtrack 2 My Life”, “Pursuit of Happiness”, and “Hyyerr”. Kid Cudi has never been as good as he is here which says a lot actually cause his discography has some serious heat.

15.  Missy Elliot-Miss E. So Addictive-Missy is my favorite female mc….and this is arguably her best album. Missy just really seems in her element here. She’s great on songs like “Get Ur Freak On”, “Take Away”, and “4 My People”. The album has the perfect amount of guest spots it seems too. I still think Ludacris did better on his version of “One Minute Man” than on Jay-Z’s remix of it.

16.  Eminem-Marshall Mathers LP-This is Eminem’s best album imo. It’s just so good. I wanted to have the Slim Shady LP on this list too but ah well. This album aint for the faint of heart and it makes that clear from the first song “Kill You”. The 3 singles of “Stan”, “The Way I Am”, and “The Real Slimshady” are all classics. Eminem’s performance on this album is great as is the production. The only song I don’t really like is ”Kim”.

17.  The Game-The Documentary-I don’t think this is Game’s best album…but I do think it’s his most cohesive and best produced. The first 5 songs are all amazing. After that things don’t lose too much steam either. The 50 Cent assisted songs “How We Do”, “Westside Story”, and “Hate it Or Love it” are dope. There’s other gems too like “We Ain’t” which features Eminem. The title track is really good too…as is the final song “Like Father Like Son” which features Busta Rhymes.

18.  Jay-Z- Blueprint-I actually think this is Jay-Z’s best album and a top rap album. Everything just comes together so well. Despite this tho I haven’t listened to it as much as I used to ….hence it being outside the top 15. “Izzo (H.O.V.A)” is a banger. “Heart of the City (Ain’t No Love)” is amazing also. I can’t forget about “Takeover” where he disses Mobb Deep and Nas. Also “Renegade” featuring Eminem is another great track. I really like “Girls Girls Girls” too. Incredible album.

19.  Kendrick Lamar-Good Kid M.A.A.D City-This is what I think is Kendrick’s best album. It’s just so thematic and fun to listen to. This was one of those albums that just clicked on first listen. Kendrick is really good lyrically here. I love a lot of the production too. “Money Trees” with Jay Rock might be the best song…but there’s a lot to love here. “Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe” is terrific as is the much lauded “Sing About Me/I’m Dying Thirst”.

20.  Big Boi-Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty-I’ve praised this album a lot and yeah its amazing. Big Boi was blessed with some amazing production to rap over on this album. He spits really well too like on songs like “Daddy Fat Sax”, “General Patton”, and “Shutterbugg”. I love the song with T.I., “Tangerine”. The back to back songs of “Hustle Blood” with Jamie Foxx, and “Be Still” with Janelle Monae are just awesome. Give this one a listen.

21.  T.I.-Paper Trail-While I do think this is T.I’s best album….its not my favorite by him. However this album is jam packed with bangers like “Swing Ya Rag”, “Whatever You Like”, “Live Your Life”, and “No Matter What”. You can’t forget about the amazing song “Swagga Like Us” which features Kanye, Lil Wayne, and Jay-Z! This album is very well produced and T.I. doesn’t disappoint.

22.  Jeezy-The Recession-IMO this is Jeezy’s best album. He spits really well on it and the production is stellar. It also has a low amount of guest spots: Kanye West, Charlie Hamilton, Trey Songz, and Nas. “Put On” is a tremendous record. I really like “Crazy World” too. “Circulate” and “The Vacation” are also bangers. I feel like this album gets lost in the shadows of other great 2008 albums like Tha Carter III but its definitely a gem.

23.  Drake-Nothing Was the Same-I was debating on a few Drake albums for this list but I had to go with his best album. The album has a lot of heat on it. Drake spits really well on this album….which is something I cant say for Drake in the 2020s. “Tuscan Leather” is a monster song. Then there’s “Hold On, We’re going home” which is one his best singing performances. I think there’s only one skip on this album which for me is “305 to My City”. 

24.  Kanye West-Late Registration-This is the album that I got a nosebleed from when I got it cause I was so excited. There’s so much quality here its insane. It has one of his best songs “Gold Digger” on it. The album arguably has better production than on the College Dropout. There’s “Diamond’s From Sierra Leone” and its remix which has Jay-z On it. Overall this is just a gem of an album. Had to be top 25 for me.

25.  Eminem-The Marshall Mathers LP2-I truly don’t understand why this album is so polarizing for some in Eminem’s fanbase. For me it’s a top 3 album he’s put out. “Rap God” is a song I truly couldn’t get off repeat when the album came out. Sure not every song is incredible but on most he displays incredible lyricism. I love the production too….like on songs like “So Far”. As much as I love this album its not my favorite Eminem album.

26.  Logic-Everybody-I honestly thought I was gonna have more Logic albums make this list but no…this one is just too special for me. I love the themes and Logic kills it lyrically. The song “1-800-273-8255” song just gives me the feels everytime. The title track is also very good. “Black Spiderman” might be the best track however. Overall just a great album.

27.  Nas-Illmatic-Many call this the best rap album of all time…while I don’t agree I do really love this album.I don’t really have a whole lot to say about it. It’s Nas’s best work to date. He made a masterpiece just like that. I have the 10th and 20th anniversary collections of this album.

28.  Jeezy-Lets Get It: Thug Motivation 101-This is one album that I was truly addicted to when I first got it. Looking back at it…its not as good as some other Jeezy albums but man is it hot. The title track gets things off to a nice start. “And Then What” and “Go Crazy” are incredibly good songs. That guest list Is just perfect too. The likes of Akon, Jay-Z, Bun B, T.I., Trick Daddy, and Lloyd.

29.  Lil Wayne-Tha Carter III-The release of this album was truly a moment in rap history. Lil Wayne delivered on what I think is his best album. The album gets off to a strong start and rarely lets up. “Mr. Carter” with Jay-Z is a classic…as is “A Milli”. Of course “Lolipop” was really ahead of its time. “Tie My Hands” with Robin Thicke is a very introspective song from Weezy. You could argue Carter II deserves a spot, but I say III.

30.  The Notorious B.I.G.-Life After Death-This double disc album is dope from start to finish. The first disc has bangers like “I Love the Dough” which features Jay-Z, “Hypnotize”, and “Mo Money Mo Problems”. Believe it or not, I prefer the 2nd disc. Its got “Notorious Thugs” which features Bone Thugs and Harmony, “Sky’s the Limit”, and “Going Back to Cali”. Overall this might be rap’s best dual disc album.

31.  Kid Cudi-The Man on the Moon II:The Legend of Mr. Rager-This is one album that I just couldn’t get enough of at the time…and its held up well today. The album is certainly darker than its predecessor. The first 3 tracks are just great. Then later there’s great songs like “Mojo So Dope” and “Erase Me”. The latter features Kanye West. The album maybe doesn’t close all that strong, but man is there a lot of quality songs.

32.  Lupe Fiasco-The Cool-Lupe’s 2nd album is a work of art for sure. He displays incredible lyrical ability on songs like “Go Go Gadget Flow”. There’s also some great concepts like on songs like “Little Weapon” and “Hip Hop Saved My Life”. The latter maybe being the best song on the album. The production isn’t quite as good as Food & Liquor but it’s a minor setback.

33.  Nas-Untitled-I was originally considering Life is Good for this spot but there’s just something so Nas about this album. He’s in full political mode here. The production is also better than you’d think. I really like how thematic the album feels. Songs like “Sly Fox” is terrific. “Hero” is very commercial sounding but its my jam. There’s even an ode to the soon to be president, Barrack Obama; on “Black President”.

34.  The Game-The Documentary 2 & 2.5-Well this is actually 2 albums for the price of one but hey its my list. Both albums are excellent. Doc. 2 is perhaps the more commercial of the two. It’s got great songs like “Step Up”, “Don’t Trip”, and “Dedicated”. Both albums have an insanely good guest list. Doc 2.5 has some great songs like “Gang Bang Anyway”, “The Ghetto” and “Up ON the Wall”. Overall its hard to say Game has ever been better than here.

35.  50 Cent-The Massacre-While I don’t think this album is good enough to be regarded as a classic, its definitely one of my favorites. 50 jam packed this album with a lot of hits like “Candy Shop”, “Outta Control”, “Just a Lil Bit”….but there are some great B sides like “This is 50”, “Ski Mask Way”, and “Position of Power”. Of course with so many tracks theres bound to be some filler….Overall tho great album.

36.  Nelly-Nellyville- I picked this album over his Sweat album which is also one of my favorites. The singles are fire “Hot In Herre”, “Air Force Ones”, and “Dilemma”. However the album has some other great songs like “Pimp Juice”, “Roc the Mic (Remix)”. And “Work It”. Yeah its hard to beat this in Nelly’s catalogue.

37.  Lloyd Banks-The Hunger For More-G-Unit soldier Lloyd Banks came out the gate with a fire album. This album has some really great production. “On Fire” is a terrific song. Banks proves to be a great lyricist too on most of these tracks. “Warrior” and “Warrior Pt. 2” are major wins. I also enjoyed the ladies track “Karma”. I had to pick this one over Young Buck’s album which is also a great album.

38.  Fat Joe-All or Nothing- This has been one of my favorite albums for a while now. Joey Crack is given some incredible production to rap over on this album. Its not all flash like with singles like “So Much More”. There’s also some dark cuts like “Temptation Pt.1” and “Temptation Pt. 2”. I like every song except the bonus track with J.Lo at the end. That’s a pretty good ratio of hits.

39.  Rick Ross-Teflon Don-To me this is without a doubt Ross’s best album. It’s a short album and there’s not really a skip for me. The first two songs “I’m Not a Star” and “Free Mason” are just stellar. Then there’s “Live Fast, Die Young” which features a great verse from Kanye. This album proved Ross was a force to be reckoned with in the game.

40.  Kanye West & GOOD Music-Cruel Summer-I almost forgot about this album. Man there is just so much heat on it. The songs “Clique”, “Mercy”, and “New God Flow” alone are elite. The hits don’t stop there either. The album has great production. The future of G.O.O.D. Music looked bright after this but we all know it didn’t last. 

41.  Ludacris-Theater of the Mind-This was a surprisingly good album from Ludacris. I picked this one over Chicken & Beer. Luda spits really well and there’s some humor still which lands with songs like “One More Drink”. The guest list huge too….and with the exception of two love songs near the middle of the album there are no skips.

42.  Fabolous-Loso’s Way-Arguably Fabolous’s best album. I was originally going to go with Ghetto Fabolous but then I remembered just how much I liked it in 2009 and still do. Sure there’s some filler but the album gets off to a really strong start. I really like songs like “Throw It in the Bag” and “Imma Do It”.

43.  Pusha T-My Name is My Name-I feel this is Pusha’s best work. Pusha attacks almost every song with relentless efficiency. It was pretty shocking how good this album was in 2013 and it still holds up. I love the first 3 songs. “Sweet Serenade” with Chris Brown just has a really cool vibe to it. “Nostelgia” with Kendrick is another fire track.

44.  Ice Cube-Raw Footage- I had to give this pick some serious thought. While I know it’s not a top 1 or 2 album from Cube; I gotta admit this is my favorite. This is actually the album that made me a fan of his in 2008. Songs like “It Takes a Nation” and “Hood Mentality” are so dope.

45.  J.Cole-Born Sinner-Truly an album where I don’t get why more people aren’t so high on it. It’s honestly the album that made me a fan of Cole. The album just has a very unified laid back kinda feel. I felt his first album was kinda of like that too, but it works better here. The first song, “Villuminati” Is the best song but theres a lot to love here.

46.  Talib Kweli-Quality-Talib’s 2nd collaboration with Hi-Tek is another favorite of mine but there’s something about Quality that’s well quality! Lol. The first 3 songs are just so good…. Which includes “Get By”. Then there’s killer songs like “Guerilla Monsoon Rap”. Maybe the quintessential album from Talib.

47.  Common-Nobody’s Smiling-I was contemplating putting Be here…but no I like this album a little more. It’s so gritty and dark which Is different for Common. I love the No.ID production too. “No Fear”, “Black Majick”, “Hustle Harder”, and the title track are all major wins.

48.  Raekwon-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II-While not his best album; this was the album that introduced me to the Chef way back in 2009. I had heard him on other rapper’s albums before but I had no idea how good he was. This album is so well constructed. The lyrics are so crisp and the production is really fitting too. Shoutout to Ghostface Killah also. “New Wu” might be my favorite song up here.

49.  Jay-Z- Blueprint 3- Jay’s 3rd Blueprint doesn’t really get old to me. For one the production, like other blueprints, is outstanding. I honestly like most of the songs. The best songs though are: “D.O.A.(Death of Autotune)”, “Run This Town”, and “Empire State of Mind”. Wow I guess those are the singles. I don’t know why people don’t like “Venus vs. Mars”. Its fire to me.

50.  Kendrick Lamar-To Pimp a Butterfly- It may seem weird to see such a prestigious album so far back. I love this album but I don’t think its Kendrick’s best. The album is so creative and the lyricism is incredible. “King Kunta” is my favorite track but there’s a lot to love here. “Alright” is anthemic. “Mortal Man” has that skit that goes into talking to 2Pac. Just pure genious stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and