Skip to main content

Top Rappers of 2012: 2nd Edition(The Much Anticipated Sequel)


This is a list of rappers who I feel are the best right now, not all time. It’s mostly based on albums and songs from 2011-2012. Here’s the top 20

Top Rappers 2012

2nd Edition


*Eminem and Royce Da 5’9 are combined into Bad Meets Evil

*Outkast didn’t have an album this year yet so they aren’t included.

 
1.      Nas(19)- Nasty Nas is finally on top. He’s jumped 18 spots mostly due to the fact he hadn’t done much in the 2010-2011 time frame. Life is Good is a stellar album that I didn’t think would be that good. Nas feels he still has something to prove…and maybe he does. “When you become better than legends you thought were the greatest”, raps Nas. Not only that, he’s had some good guest features as well like on Tha Carter IV and The Dreamer/The Believer , and  Pink Friday Roman Reloaded. When its all said and done Nas may be known as the best rapper ever.

2.      Lupe Fiasco(14)- I am incredibly proud of Lupe Fiasco. The Chai town mc released a great album this year, Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Part 1. I’ll be honest I didn’t think it would be all that good. Lupe is an impeccable lyricist, and he seems to have changed his style a bit which is welcome cause you don’t want to hear a guy rap the same on every album.

3.      Kanye West(1)- Who could be better than Kwest? Well he did drop the compilation album Cruel Summer and he had some hot guest spots on albums over the last year as well. Its enough to keep Kanye in the top 3. He’s a great lyricist with incredible production as well. For Kanye I could see him reclaiming the top spot, but it would take a really good solo album to do that.

4.      Kendrick Lamar(20)-Man! Kendrick has jumped 16 spots on the list. This is mostly due to his dropping a classic this year. That album is really really dope. What I find most impressive about him is his storytelling and unique delivery. His songs really draw you in. Well I don’t know if he can make another album of good kid, M.A.A.D. City’s caliber but the sky is the limit for this gifted MC.

5.      Rick Ross(7)-Ross hasn’t jumped that much, but he’s cracked the top 5. His 5th album was really good, almost as good as 2010’s Teflon the Don. He’s also been appearing on EVERYBODY’s albums, including Nas. The future looks bright for Ross, but I don’t think he’ll ever be up there with Biggie Smalls.

6.      Game(3)-The holder for Rap album of 2011 falls just shy of the top 5. Game had the best album in 2011, but this is 2012. He’s still a force to be reckoned with however. Things will be interesting looking forward for Game as he has some pretty big completion in the west from Kendrick Lamar.

7.      Killer Mike(new)- Ah, Killer Mike. I have to admit, before hearing R.A.P. Music, I didn’t think he was all that. However he raps with ferocity and has a great flow. Not to mention El-P giving him dope beats. He’s not going to go up on the list but he’ll stay on it.

8.      Nicki Minaj(10)- Face it, Nicki is the best Pop rapper right now. Her 2nd album was poorly constructed but it was good nonetheless. She’s also had some strong guest spots over the last 2 years. Barbie has the female MC game on lockdown.

9.      Drake(4)- I gotta hand it to Drizzy, he didn’t release and album this year(which was smart) and he still makes the top 10. However he’s fallen back though. Drake’s changed his flow up, and had some great features like on 2 Chainz’s debut album. I’m not sure if Drake can come out with another hot album. He’s going to have to stay personal with his subject matter.

10.  Bad Meets Evil-This is the group composed of Eminem and Royce da 5’9. Simply put, these 2 are some of the best rappers ever. I didn’t include Slaughterhouse, even though Royce is a member of it. Their Hell The Sequel album was pretty good. I admit Eminem has fallen off a bit, but together these 2 elite rappers are still in the top 10.

11.  Big K.R.I.T.(new)- Krit is another rapper I hadn’t really heard of before 2012. The dirty south rapper/producer has a smooth flow and a smooth sound.  His mixtape/album 4 Eva N a Day was awesome, and his Live From the Underground album was dope too. I expect him to crack the top 10 next time. This guy is the future of the dirty south.

12.  B.O.B.(new)-This is his first time making one of my top rapper lists. Bob has been one of my favorite rappers since he burst on the scene in 2010. Well I actually heard him on T.I.’s Paper Trail album. The Pop rapper just may the most creative Pop rapper right now.

13.  Common(6)-Chai town’s Nas is back with G.O.O.D. music. He is still a top MC, but he’s fallen back quite a bit. He’s another rapper that I feel based on their discography, just don’t have anything left to prove. Common may or may not top The Dreamer/The Believer.

14.  J.Cole(11)- Cole has been a little disappointing in 2012, but honestly since he didn’t drop an album this year, it’s pretty normal for an artist to fall back. His debut album was good, and I know next time J.Cole will at least be in the top 10. He has good flow and subject matter.

15.  Young Jeezy(12)-One of my favorite rappers fell back a few spots. Jeezy is a great rapper who I feel is the Raekwon of the South. Yeah I said that last time, so what? TM103 was good, but I feel he has an album of The Recession’s caliber that he has yet to make again. Jeezy has been in the game for a while now, but I don’t see him coming out of the top 20 anytime soon.

16.  Big Sean(new)- Big Sean is a rapper I initially didn’t like that much, but he’s a pretty talented and popular rapper right now. His debut album  Finally Famous was pretty good. I’ve been more impressed with some of his guest verses. Sean reminds me a lot of Drake. They do have similar flows and subject matters.

17.  El-P(new)- Who the hell is this guy u ask? El-P is a producer rapper and man is he talented. I first heard this guy on Killer Mike’s latest album. However his own album Cancer 4 Cure, is a great album This dude has incredible lyrical skill, and a unique flow. I look forward to hearing more from this rapper.

18.  Jay-z(8)-The hip hop heavyweight is waaaaay back. Hova still makes the list, but not just because of Watch the Throne but also due to some strong guest verses like on Cruel Summer & God Forgives and I Don’t. At this point in his career I don’t feel Jay needs to release anymore albums, his discography is just that good already. However if he is truly the “god MC” he’s got to come out with a strong solo album next year.

19.  Lil Wayne(9)- Lil Weezy is back, but he’s barely made the list this time around, which, believe it or not, is a rarity. 2011 was a good year for him, but this year he’s been inconsistent. Wayne was once the Lebron James of rap to me, but now that Lebron has (arguably) gotten better, the comparison no longer holds true. Wayne has gotten worse, and needs to drop some hot records quick.

20.  2 Chainz(new)-This may be a shocker to some. I didn’t think too highly of 2 Chainz debut solo album, however he’s been a force in the game in the 2nd half of this year. The man has been on a lot of people’s albums.He has very good delivery but he needs to work on his lyrical dexterity.  TRUUUU, YEAAA…..those ad-libs are too cool man.


Honerable mentions: DMX, K’Naan, Ab-Sol, Tyler the Creator, Tech N9ne, Black Thought, and Raekwon, Pusha TT.I., Ludacris,
 

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area