Skip to main content

My Favorite Rap Albums (up to 2015) Part Two

Remember this is not a ranked list....but these are more of my favorites, check out part 1 here
http://maxreviewsandthoughts.blogspot.com/2016/08/my-favorite-rap-albums-ever-up-to-2015.html

1.       From Nothing to Somethin(2007) :Fabolous-I have a lot of fond memories of this album. Fab spits fire on these cohesive beats. Yes there’s some filler but its hard to deny the singles as some of his best songs to date. FF: I bought this really soon after it came out along with the video game Mario Kart DS lol. FT: Brooklyn, Return of the Hustle, Make Me Better
2.       Raw Footage(2008): Ice Cube-Perhaps the last great Ice Cube album. He hits hard and spits fire on topics of extreme relevance. I wasn’t really a fan of Cube till I heard this album. Some critics rated it higher than Game’s L.A.X. album so I had to peep it. FF: This is the album that made me a fan of Cube…funny right? FT: It Takes a Nation, Hood Mentality, Thank God
3.       Ultimate Victory(2007): Chamillionaire-Cham’s 2nd album is incredible. There’s so much cohesion and lyrical dexterity here. The production aint bad either. FF: The album has no cussing lol…no seriously. FT: Hip Hop Police, Morning News, The Bill Collecta
4.       Chicken & Beer(2003): Ludacris-This is a terrific album. I love how it feels very similar to Word of Mouf, yet very different as well. Lyrically Luda is no slouch and he’s had a lot of fun on this one. The production is terrific as well. FF: I bought this album the same day as Jay-z’s Black Album and it competed well I remember. FT: Stand Up, We Got, Eyebrows Down
5.       The Blueprint 3(2009):Jay-z-A fairly high anticipated conclusion to a great trilogy. Jay spit a lot harder than he did on BP2. BP3 has terrificly cohesive production. There’s also a perfect amount of guest spots. FF: I didn’t know the sample for Young Forever was also in the movie Napoleon Dynamite. FT: D.O.A., Run This Town, Venus Vs. Mars
6.       The Documetary(2005):The Game-A terrific album. It put Game on the map. 50 Cent co-produced it along with Dr. Dre. It’s one of those albums where I’m not really sure what the best songs are. FF: This is the album that made me a fan of The Game.(big surprise lol). FT: Dreams, Higher, Hate It or Love It
7.       8 Mile Soundtrack(2002): Eminem & Various Artists-This is one incredibly successful soundtrack. The 4 Eminem songs are very good, in fact Loose Yourself is arguably his best song. Why? In short, he was rapping in character on the song, and he murdred it lyrically! The other songs aren’t bad either….and the songs from the other rappers aren’t bad either. OK OK…lol Fun fact: This was the first time I got to hear 50 Cent…Favorite Tracks: Loose Yourself, Wanksta, 8 Mile
8.       Curtis(2007):50 Cent-Ah Curtis…perhaps the weirdest of the 50 Cent discography. For one it was supposed to be called before I self destruct. It was kind of the twilight of 50’s megastardom. Everything is dumb downed from GRoDT and The Massacre….but alas it’s an album I love man. FF: I bought this with Kanye’s Graduation album in 2007 and played them both pretty equally at the time. FT: Ayo Technology, I Get Money, Fire
9.       God’s Son(2002): Nas-This is an odd album to me. Not because of the actual music, but ….we’ll get to that. Nas was still on top of his game but he rapped like he had less to prove. Production wise, its about as good as any in his catalog. You’ve got to remember he still wasn’t cool with Jigga in 2002 so….yeah. FF: I had this album stolen from me….it took me a while to rebuy it. Then I lost it, and then bought it recently lol. FT:The Cross, Made You Look, I Can
10.   Im A Hustla(2005):Cassidy-Another cult classic(another album I love). Cassidy spits really hard on this and the Swizz Beatz beats are dope as hell. I think this is his best album. FF: I didn’t hear this album until 2006 lol. FT: B-Boy Stance, 6 Minutes, I’m A Hustla
11.   Man on the Moon II-The Legend of Mr. Rager(2010):Kid Cudi-A truly underrated album. Kid Cudi reminds us all on this that there’s no rapper with this exact style. I love the hooks and the creepy yet bouncy beats. I think he could have used a few more guests but its dope. FF: I listened to this an awful lot when I first got it….like another album I bought later that year. FT: REVOFEV, Erase Me, Mojo So Dope
12.   Nellyville(2002):Nelly-This is arguably his best album. It has lots of singles on it. One of those is Hot in Herre; one of rap’s best part songs. The album features great production, and very catchy choruses. FF: I had this album stolen, but then I bought the unedited version years later. FT: #1, Hot in Herre, Air Force Ones
13.   Relapse(2009):Eminem-This is no doubt Em’s most graphic album, even if you thought SSLP and MMLP were tough to stomach. The album does however have good lyricism and decent beats.I liked this album more back in 2009 than I do now, but its still dope. FF: Its no secret that Eminem himself hates this album because of what it represents for him…. FT: We Made You, Beautiful, Medicine Ball
14.   Doctor’s Advocate(2006):The Game-DA is a great album that had to be great because Game was kicked out of G-Unit. In other words, he had something to prove. Game sounds fierce as ever, even if lyrically it’s no better than the debut. FF: I bought this along with Lupe Fiasco’s first album in 2006….one of the best 1, 2 purchases ever.
15.   Theater of the Mind(2008):Ludacris-In 2008 Luda returned to form with a great album. This one was a little odd compared to his past works. He was having fun, but also standing toe to toe with the likes of Jay-z and Nas! It’s a cinematic type album in terms of theme. FF: Some say this was actually the best rap album of 2008, but not me lol. Also it featured T.I. for the first time. FT: What Them Girls Like, I Do it For Hip Hop,, Undisputed
16.   The Carter II(2005):Lil Wayne-Lil Wayne’s Carter II was his ascent to the elites of the rap game. It’s evident he was in the conversation for best dirty south rapper at this time. I like C2, but not quite as much as C3, but more than C4 of course. FF:I got this album when I went to college back in 06’. FT: Fireman, Best Rapper Alive, Hustler Musick
17.   Joe Budden(2004): Joe Budden-You know you don’t see many self titled rap albums. This one is fire. Joe takes you to the club with some songs, and tells you about his personal struggles on some others. I don’t think he’s made an album like this since though. FF: Another cd I lost, but hey it was saved on my computer so ha! FT: Pump It Up, Give Me a Reason, #1
18.   Loso’s Way(2009): Fabolous-Another cult classic. Sure it wasn’t the best album that year, but it was on repeat for me. Fabolous shows a spectacular flow here. FF:I ended up bootlegging it and then buying years later lol. FT: Imma Do It, Throw it In the Bag, It’s My Time
19.   Recovery(2010):Eminem-This is a very weird Eminem album. Its not normal for him(or at least it wasn’t), and there’s no skits. The album is one of my favorites for a few reasons. Its his recovery from the relapse! Yeah….well anyway there’s a new Popish sound here and its hot. Yes for the first time there are no Dr. Dre beats for Em on his album. FF: I bought this after bootlegging it. Man I loved it, maybe not as much as in 2010 though. FT: No Love, Love The Way You Lie, Not Afraid
20.   Hip Hop Is Dead(2006):Nas-Nas declared rap dead in 2006, and then he quickly performs CPR on it. I really like the production on this album. Its solid. The theme is kind of loose compared to some other Nas albums but it’s a win. FF: Nas used the beat for Hip Hop is Dead(the song) previously on Thief’s Theme on Street’s Dispiple. FT: Hip Hop is Dead, Blunt Ashes, Black Republican
21.   My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy(2010):Kanye West-Kanye’s masterpiece. It’s got everything going for it; Out of this world beats, strong thoughtful lyrics, and just great creativity. It’s aged well, but I admit I’ve listened to it an awful lot. Kanye will be remembered for that one. FF: The deluxe version shipped with the movie Runaway. FT: All of the Lights, Power, Dark Fantasy
22.   Tetsuo & Youth(2015): Lupe Fiasco- Lupe’s masterpiece. Its so complex and so lyrically dense. It really blows away much of his past work. Whether it’s the lyrical onslaught of Mural or the immense storytelling of Prisoner 1 & 2, this is a great album. FF: I really thought Lupe had the best album of 2015. FT: Mural, Dots & Lines, Prisoner 1&2
23.   The Marshall Mathers LP(2000):Eminem-Eminem’s best album to date. Its very much similar to Slimshady LP, but it’s got stronger singles. It also helps that he’s a lyrical force with beats to match. FF: I was given the first 2 Em albums back in 2002 I think, and my father wouldn’t let me listen to all the songs at first. FT: The Real Slimshady, Criminals, The Way I Am
24.   Nothing Was the Same(2013): Drake-Okay so my apologies but this is Drake’s best album imo. He’s more fierce and the album is very deep. The beats are good too. Drake finally made a great album, not that his others weren’t great. FF: I bootlegged this album too, but I bought it soon after! FT: Hold On We’re Going Home, Started From the Bottom, Worst Behavior

25.   The Pinkprint(2014):Nicki Minaj-Okay this is Nicki’s best album (put the chair down reader). Sorry that was unintentional to put them in a row like this lol. Nicki seems to have CALMED DOWN a bit and stopped with the Roman ish. The result is she sounds more focused lyrically here and this album has a little bit for everybody. FF: I had to buy this from Itunes, the deluxe version. FT: The Night is Still Young, Anaconda, Pills N Potions

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area