Skip to main content

The Best R&B Albums of the decade (2010-2014) Part One

Disclaimer...I know i will miss an album or two that should be up here, but i'm only putting albums up here that I own...Alot of albums that were eligible had the same score, 9/10...which kind of made me make this a top 15, instead of top 20 list(like the rap one). ENJOY. Im open to suggestions, or if you think an album shouldn't or should be up here.


15) Trey Songz-Chapter V
Trey Songz returned in 2012 with a great album. Its very well rounded. I felt it was just a tad bit better than his PPP album. Key Tracks: 2 Reasons, Heart Attack.

14) Alicia Keys- Girl On Fire
Alicia came back like she never left. This album isn’t quite as good as Element of Freedom, but its eligible. The depth on the album is great. KT: Girl On Fire, New Day.

13) Usher-Looking 4 Myself
Ursher also makes the list, this wasn’t his only eligible album, but this is better than Raymond v. Raymond. The album is good front to back. KT: Twisted, Climax

12) Mariah Carey-Me I Am Mariah, The Elusive Chanteuse
This album was kind of under the radar, and that’s a shame. It’s great, but maybe it pushes MC’s new sound too far. KT: Dedicated, Beautiful (too many to name)

11) Chrisette Michelle-Better
Lyrically its incredibly sound, and very deep. This album also was kind of under the radar, but it’s a great album. I need to hear more of her music, as I really enjoyed this one. KT: Charades, Be In Love

10) John Legend-Love in the Future
We’re in the top 10, the albums will get quite hot. John Legend continues to impress in a crowded genre with his old school style sound. It’s another incredibly sound Lyrical performance. KT: Who Do We Think We Are, All of Me

9) Elle Varner-Perfectly Imperfect
Where did this woman come from…cause this album is fire. It’s short and sweet. There’s’ not an average song on the album. Elle shows tremendous versatility here.
KT: Stop the Clock, Refill

8) Frank Ocean-channel Orange
Odd Future member debut is well odd, but not in a bad way. His lyrics are good but not flawless. The production I sound on this very addictive album. KT: Pyramids, Lost

7) K. Michelle-Anybody Wanna Buy A Heart
Former Love & Hip member, explodes with a new favorite album of mine. She always sounds so fresh on this album. The beats aren’t perfect, but that’s a small complaint.
K.T.: Love Em All, Going Under

6) Jazmine Sullivan-Reality Show
She must be related to yours truly some kind of way…(heheh). It’s not really better than #7, but it’s a tad bit more soulful, even though the production wasn’t as good as #7’s.
K.T.: Mascara, Veins

5) Melanie Fiona-The MF Life
Its funny I found out about her by accident, but I’m glad I did. It ties with #6 and #7 on this list, but I felt Melanie’s album was a tad bit better. This is the top 5 afterall, so there’s not much wrong with any of the albums going forward.
KT: Bones, Wrong Side of a Love Song

4) Janelle Monae- The Electric Lady
Janelle’s 2nd album is dope. It’s a bit long though, but the songs are excellent. There’s some really good guest spots like Miguel, Prince, and Solange. Its not really as good as her 1st album, but its about as good as any R&B album released lately.
K.T: Q.U.E.E.N., Primetime, Dance Apocylptic

3) Janelle Monae-The ArchAndroid
Yes! Back to back! Lol. This album is really eccentric. Its not like any other album on this list, including #4. The creativity on display was enough to tie the next 2 albums….but I felt those were a little more Contemporary.
K.T.: Wondaland, Tightrope, Come Alive

2) Trey Songz- Trigga
Ah you should have figured Trigga Trey would make the list again. Trigga has good tempo, and good album structure. It kind of reminds me of Amerie’s In Love & War album(which sadly was not eligible due to being a 2009 album). Theres incredible party bangers and good slow ballads too. Trigga is his best album any way you look at it.
K.T. Na Na, Foreign Remix, Cake




1)      Beyonce- Beyonce
Yeah B! She’s barely, and I mean barely made the #1 spot. This album has grown on me. Its not her best album (B’day) but its incredibly varied, with strong vocals and terrific beats. I seriously don’t know if she can match this album’s intensity and smooth feel. She even shows some rapping skill on Flawless, and its remix if you have that version. I really like Haunted. Its slow and midtempo. Partition also has a change of beats that works together beautifully. Guests include Jay-z, Drake, and Frank Ocean.
KT: XO, Flawless, Drunk In Love.


 That's the list...thanks for reading.

Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)

Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013. 1.       Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad- As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to. 2.       Amerie-In Love & War- When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area