Skip to main content

My Favorite R&B Albums (as 2023 list)



Here are my favorite R&B albums. I'm not gonna do the countdown....I'm just going to list them. The last time I did a list like this was 2013.


1.     Rihanna-Good Girl Gone Bad-As her best album and the album that made her a star…it’s only right that as my favorite singer Rihanna takes the title. GGGB isn’t a perfect album but I love it. There’s a little something for everyone here. The smooth “Lemme Get That”, the party anthem “Don’t Stop the Music”, and the jam “Umbrella” featuring Jay-Z. “Hate that I love You” featuring Ne-Yo is really good too. This album is just always a blast to listen to.

2.     Amerie-In Love & War-When I made this list about 10 years ago, this was the number one album. I love this album so much. I was considering her “Because I Love it” album for this list too, but I don’t really go back to that one that much. This album is just a flamethrower of R&B execution. That first half is great with songs like : “Heard Em All”, “Why R U”, and “Pretty Brown”. The guest list is short: Lil Wayne, Fabolous, and Trey Songz. That 2nd half is where things slow down a bit but those songs are still decent.

3.     Beyonce- B’day-I believe this is the quintessential Beyonce’ album. Sure it’s production doesn’t quite blow you away like her self titled debut but there isn’t really a flaw with this album. I used to listen to this album a lot when I got it in 2007. “Ring the Alarm” features a lot of personality from Queen B….and you can’t forget about the Jay-Z assisted tracks “Déjà vu” and “Upgrade U”. There’s even a woman’s anthem with “Irreplaceable”

4.     Ne-Yo-In My Own Words-Yes I like Ne-Yo’s debut more than The-Dream’s debut. “Sexy Love” is a tremendous R&B song…. “So Sick” is really good too. I had to give this the edge over the other spots cause I enjoy pretty much every song. His execution on songs like “Mirror” or “It Just Ain’t Right” are flawless. Overall great album.

5.     Usher- Confessions (special edition)-This is the best Usher album hands down and it makes my top 5. The album fell back a couple spots. Still tho, theres so much quality here: “Confessions”, “Confessions Part II”, “Burn” ,“My Boo” & “Caught Up” Just to name a few. The album is very well produced too like with songs like the infectious “Yeah”. There are a couple songs in the middle I don’t care for too much but that’s a small complaint. Classic album.

6.     Aaliyah- (Self-Titled)- Another Self-titled album; the baby girl’s final album is just so incredible. It’s actually in the same spot it was in before. The first 4 songs I just love so much. “We Need a Resolution” Is fire, as is “Rock the Boat”. In fact this might be the best production of any album on this list. Timbaland really did a great job here. “Try Again” as a bonus track is only fitting. 

7.     Trey Songz-Trigga- Spoiler alert, this is the most recent album left on the list. Trey’s best album has a lot to like about it. “Na Na” is a certified banger. There’s a few guests like Nicki Minaj, Mila J, Justin Beiber, and Juicy J to name most….but Trey is the clear star here. It’s a really well produced album too. Some of the longer songs are kind of a drag but that’s a minor complaint.

8.     Janelle Monae-The Arch Android-Here we are at Janelle Monae’s debut album. There is no album quite like this one. It’s creative, eccentric, and just a lot of fun. This album finds itself only up one spot actually. “Tightrope”, “Wondaland”, “Come Alive”, and “Cold War” are all bangers. I love the way she tells a story also with these tracks. While not really better than her 2nd album, I do prefer it the most in her catalogue.

9.     The Dream-Love Hate-You knew the American Dream would make this list. The masterful songwriter has such a thematic sounding album. It really is a terrific debut. The guest list is short: Fabolous & Rihanna only. I used to listen to this album a whole lot when I got it. Honestly, I was also considering his 2nd album for this list too but it didn’t quite make the cut. “Fast Car” and “Nikki” are highlights. I really like “Ditch That” too.

10.  Keyshia Cole-Just Like You-With a very slim margin is Keyshia Cole’s 2nd album in the top ten. This is her best album hands down. “Let It Go” is terrific. “Shoulda Let You Go” and “Heaven Sent” are also really good. I also love that “Last Night” featuring Diddy was included on this. Honestly this could have been lower but I really enjoyed this album a lot over the years.

11.  Jazmine Sullivan-Reality Show-Just outside the top 10 is Jazmine Sullivan’s 3rdalbum. This is a great album that doesn’t really lose any steam as it goes. “Let It Burn” and “Veins” are terrific songs and they are back to back. I find myself going back to this album a lot. There’s only one guest spot too and its Meek Mill. “Stanley” is another stand out track.

12.  Beyonce’- (Self Titled)-There’s just something about this album. Beyonce’s shocked the world with this one’s release. The music is really really elite. The guest spots are well used too: Jay-z, Frank Ocean, and Drake. “Drunk In Love” is so good but so is “Mine” and “Partition”. I love how she breaks it down on “Flawless”. The margin from this to the next spot was very close.

13.  Rihanna-Anti-Ah the Barbadian Queen’s Anti album. Hailed as her best album (I don’t agree). It’s still one of my favorite albums in the genre. There’s just so much quality here. “Love on the Brain” and “Kiss It Better” are stand outs in her catalogue. Who could forget the Drake assisted “Work” I do think this is a very well-produced album. When it comes to ballads this is Rihanna at her best.

14.  Melanie Fiona-The MF Life-Another great album that doesn’t really have any weak songs. Melanie is a great singer…it’s a shame we only have 2 albums from her. “4 AM” is such an emotional song. The guest spots are good too: J.Cole, Nas, B.oB.,John Legend, and T-Pain. “Bones” might be the best song however.

15.  Toni Braxton- (Self Titled)-This album is just such a masterclass in R&B. I love Toni’s singing a lot here. “Breathe Again” and “You Mean the World to Me” are so great. There’s also some drama on a song like “Love Affair”. All in all its just a classic. It used to be higher up but I don’t listen to it as much as I used to.

16.  Ella Mai- (Self Titled)-This album is a newer favorite of mine. Ella has so much personality on these tracks. I basically like every track which means maybe I scored this one a little too low. The guest spots are minimal which are just Chris Brown and John Legend. Her 2nd album is good too but this one gets the nod.

17.  Keri Hilson-In a Perfect World-Keri’s debut is just everything you want in a contemporary R&B album. The album is really solid and the guest spots are well used. “Energy” and “Return the Favor” are great. Who could forget about “Knock You Down” which features Ne-Yo and Kanye West.

18.  Tinashe-Joyride-The first song (the title track) comes on and I’m instantly hooked. While not really her best album, I feel it’s the quintessential Tinashe album. The album is short too, so it doesn’t over stay its welcome.

19.  Ne-Yo- Year of the Gentleman- Some say this is his best album. While I don’t agree; I really love this album. This album has a lot of highs and few lows. He’s such a great songwriter and its really evident on songs like “Single”, “So You Can Cry”, and the heartbreaking “Fade Into the Background”. 

20.  Alicia Keys-The Element of Freedom-Alicia is one of my favorite R&B artists and honestly I had a hard time picking just this album from her discography. This is without a doubt my favorite of hers. It’s so smooth and comforting for me to listen to this album. The first song “Love Is Blind” is a major highlight. “Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart” is one of her best songs no doubt. 

21.  SZA-Ctrl -I’ve heard this album referred to as “The side girl anthem” lol. SZA debut is another album I may have scored a little too low than it deserved. Her singing is so rich. The production is pretty nice too. “Love Galore” with Travis Scott is so dope. There’s not really any weak links on this album. With more time maybe I’d include SOS album too.

22.  Elle Varner-Perfectly Imperfect-Elle’s only album is not one I sleep on. It’s absolute fire. This album isn’t that many songs and most of them I love. “Oh What A Night” Is so catchy. “Refill” and “Stop the Clock” such great performances too. Elle is so vulnerable in her music. I honestly feel I rated this one a little lower than it deserved back in 2012.

23.  Beyonce’-Lemonade-I almost put Renaissance over this one but honestly this one has more substance to me (despite me giving them the same score). “Sorry” is so good. “Freedom” with Kendrick is incredible. “Formation” is just an elite song and one of my favorite songs of hers 

24.  Janelle Monae-Dirty Computer -A newer favorite of mine. I was going back and forth to include this one or The Electric Lady, her 2nd album. I like this one a little more. So many great songs in a short run time. “Make Me Feel” and “Screwed” are terrific. I can’t forget about “Django Jane” also. This might be her best album honestly….but I prefer another one of hers.

25.  Usher-Lookin 4 Myself -I feel like this is one Usher album no one talks about. “Climax” is an awesome song…as is “Twisted”. The production definitely sounds very 2012-ish but I really like that sound. It’s my second favorite album from him.

26.  Mariah Carey-The Emancipation of Mimi-I’m a little surprised I included this album over her Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel album. I find myself going back to this album more than that one…..although that might be the better album. MC really starts strong on this album with hits like “We Belong Together” and “It’s Like That”. I really think the former is one of the best R&B songs ever made.

27.  Tinashe-333-A newer favorite of mine. This is,I think her best album. However it’s not my favorite album of hers…..”Undo (Back to My Heart)” Is amazing. I really don’t see why she’s not a more popular artist at this point. 

28.  Lauryn Hill-The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill-This album used to be in the top 10 but I don’t really go to it like I used to 10 years ago. Still though, the album is amazing. She raps and sings with incredible ease. It’s a certified classic.

29.  Kehlani-SweetSexySavage (Deluxe)-Near the bottom of the list is Kehlani’s debut album. It’s actually one of the better albums on this list but for me its not my favorite album. I do love Kehlani’s performance here and the production is solid.

30.  Trey Songz-Pain, Passion & Pleasure-Coming in at the bottom of the list is Trey’s 4thalbum. He’s really in his element on this album. I love the story it tells through the tracks too. Its like he loves the girl, she leaves, he gets her back. The album gets off to such a strong start too. “Bottoms Up” featuring Nicki Minaj might just be my favorite song.





Honorable mentions

·      Chris Brown-Exclusive:The Forever Edition

·      Amerie-Because I Love It

·      Mariah Carey-The Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel 

·      The Dream-Love vs. Money

·      SZA-SOS

·      Keyshia Cole-The Way it is

·      Alicia Keys-HERE








Popular posts from this blog

My Top Rappers of All Time List

30) Rick Ross (7.7) Essential Album: Teflon Don Starting off the list is Ricky Rossay. Ross has great delivery and a lot of good albums. He scores really high in the versatility category. Ross’s pen game has definitely gotten better from when he debuted in 2006 with Port of Miami. Ross’s biggest flaws were his storytelling and impact. Otherwise solid MC.     29) Young Jeezy (7.8) Essential Album: The Recession Another dirty south MC. Jeezy is one of my favorite rappers. He has a lot of good albums with no real duds. He does have the best ad libs in the game. His collaboration and versatility are high. He really brings the heat on his features. Storytelling and Impact weren’t that high but hey; hes tied with the next rapper.   28) Nicki Minaj (7.8) EA: The Pinkprint Arguably the most dominant female rapper of all time. Nicki really shines when features on others tracks. She usually steals the show like on Kanye West’s “Monster” song. She’s also really versatile; able to sing also and

My Favorite Rap Albums (As of 2024) List

1.       Kanye West-Graduation -Coming in at number one we have Kanye’s 3 rd  album. Sure it’s not his best or flashiest but damnit I love it so much. Listening to this album just gives me so much joy honestly. “Champion” is a great song, then there’s a fan favorite pick “I Wonder”. I do think the lyrically dense “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” is the best track. Who could forget the smooth “Flashing Lights”. It really amazing that Kanye was able to create another great soundscape that sounded very different than College Dropout and Late Registration. Honestly this album isn’t my favorite by leaps and bounds over the top 10; but its certainly still my favorite rap album. 2.       Ludacris-Word of Mouf- Coming in at number 2 is Ludacris. I think this album is his best while others may say Release Therapy or Chicken & Beer. Fun fact this was the first album I ever bought. Sure there’s some filler…but this album has a lot of Ludacris’s best tracks on it. There’s “Rollout”, “Move Bitch”, “Area