Skip to main content

In Depth Review: T.I.-King (20th anniversary)

Opening Opinion: 96 


Wow its hard to believe its been over 20 years since T.I. released one of (if not his best) albums, King. The album is just amazing. It didn't leave my CD player for a while after I got it. Let's get into the review. I believe it was heavily used in the movie ATL which I saw on my 18th b-day. 




Let's start with the DJ Toomp produced "What You Know" and man, this is probably his best solo song. The beat is infectious. I love the hook too. "Somebody get bet get bruh, fo he get sent for, say you wanna squash it, what you still talking shit for", raps T.I.. The 2 songs before this are really good too. "King Back" which is produced by Just Blaze is also amazing. The song is so triumphant. It really gets me hype. A perfect opener. I love how he tells you to listen to his past albums to get a feel for who he is. "Front Back" features UGK (Bun B and Pimp C) and is produced by Mannie Fresh. Man this beat is just  fire. All 3 rappers bring the heat. The song pays homage to UGK in the chorus with the "Front-Back, Front-Back, Side to Side" part.

    Next up is "I'm Talkin' To You" which is a diss track of sorts but I haven't been able to figure out who he's going at. The song is a lyrical assault if I ever heard one! The beat is great too with the loud horns. "I'll give it to you straight n*gga, I don't need a metaphor." This was a Just Blaze beat too which I didn't know or forgot. Next up things smooth out with the Jamie Foxx assisted "Live in the Sky". A guy named Keith Mack produced it. I really enjoy this song. T.I. speaks on his homies/family members that have passed on. It's a really sentimental song. 

    "Ride Wit Me" has a nice bounce to it. Honestly on this album it's a pretty standard song. Lyrically he's really good here. Afterwards is a goofy skit starring Mike Epps and Malieka called "The Breakup". It's worth hearing and it leads into the next song. "Why You Wanna" is for the ladies and its smooth as hell. It's produced by Khao. T.I. is basically rapping about taking another man's place in a relationship. I really like the music video here. "Wanna tell a n**ga no with an ass so phat? Why you wanna do that?"

    "Get It" has an insanely good Swizz Beatz beat. I like the way the beat breaks down on the chorus. So far the album hasn't missed once. Mannie Fresh lends a monstrous beat for "Top Back". Yeah this is one of my favorite songs here. Mannie Fresh produced a little bit on Urban Legend but the tracks on King have been noticeably better.  Things take a slight dip with "I'm Straight" which features decent verses from B.G. (remember him?) and Young Jeezy.  Afterwards is a Pimp C skit which is ok but its just him explaining what T.I. means by King of the South. 

"Undertaker" is a dark sounding song and it features DJ Drama, Young Buck, and Young Dro. It's an ok song but nothing special.That and "Stand Up Guy" are produced by Khao. This guy really has some dope beats! Yeah I think this has a serious argument for being one of 2006's best produced albums.  On "You Know Who"  T.I. kinda interpolates past lyrics with "You know who and you know what". It's a good song but nothing amazing.

"Good Life" is the only Neptunes produced song. It features Common. I like the message of this song. "Hello" featuring Governor is probably the worst song but I honestly like it a lot. Another ladies cut. This time tho T.I. is asking how she's doing and how her man is treating her. Khao produced that one too. "Told You So" is pretty damn good. T.I. gives some background on himself and the  ATL here. This song has grown on me. 

Last up is the DJ Toomp produced "Bankhead" which features P$C and Young Dro. I like Dro's verse here. It's funny but when I heard that chorus "where am I supposed to go?" I was getting ready to leave high school and I was wondering what college I wanted to go to lol. 

So overall this might just be T.I.'s best album. It's between this and Paper Trail. I actually did a discography battle blog post between those two. Honestly the two are tied imo now.


Closing Opinion: 97

Lyrics 23
Beats 25
Depth 24
Tilt 25

Popular posts from this blog

Doja Cat Albums Worst to Best

 Doja Cat has been one of my favorite rapper/singers of the past few years. Let's see which albums are the best from her. 5) Amala (88)- Doja’s first album is honestly pretty damn good. You can tell she was still refining her sound tho on this. The last 3 songs “Juicy”, “Tia Tamera”, and “Mooo” are so good. “Candy” is another banger. The album is really well balanced being pretty much good in all areas but not really great in any tho. Favorite Track: Mooo. 4) Scarlet (90)- Believe it or not, this was an album I was on the fence about getting. I’m glad I got it. This is a rap heavy album but there’s still plenty of singing here and there. “Demons” and “F**k the GIrls” are Doja at her roughest. “Attention” was a great single. “Agora Hills” is a nice cute track. The monster single “Paint the Town Red” is the best track however. This album wa a big departure for her, but for the most part it paid off. Fav. Track Paint the Town Red. 3) Vie (92)- This was Doja returning to her pop roots,...

Video Game Review: Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

 I happened to beat this game recently for the first time in I was just in awe at how epic this game is. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is a sequel to Final Fantasy 7 Remake (which I played on the ps4). This game was a ps5 exclusive however. I know I needed a ps5 if I was gonna play it. And last year I made that happen. This is a continuation of the story of Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barrett as they fight against the Shinra Corporation and the evil Sephiroth. I'll try not spoil much. When the game starts you play as Zack who is a solider like Cloud. You saw Zack at the end of Remake. Basically story wise there is another dimension in this game and you play as Zach in it here and there. There is a relationship meter that the main character Cloud has with every party member….answering certain questions one way or another will change the relationship. I found this to be a cool touch that the first game barely had any resemblance of. The game's graphics are outstanding and characters look ...

Kanye West Albums Ranked (2026 Revision)

16) Vultures 2 (72)- It should be no surprise this album is the worst of the bunch. It just comes off as lazy and uninspired most of the time. The production is decent tho. “Bomb” features Yuno Miles and his daughters: North and Chicago West…..and it's really corny. “Husband” is just god awful. I don’t know what he was going for with that one! “Fried” is pretty dope tho….and you can see the potential of “530”. 15) Donda 2 (75) - I haven’t had a lot of time to sit with this one. It’s not that bad tho…in fact it’s kind of average. I really like “City of God” which features Alicia Keys and Five Foreign. Sure lyrically its not great but the production again isn’t bad. Ultimately I feel like this has little to do with the first Donda album…. 14) 808s and Heartbreak (83) - You may be shocked to see this still near the bottom of his discography. While I bumped the score up a little from last time, I still feel 808’s isn’t all that. I love “Heartless” as it’s probably the best song. “Love...